Seneca Park Zoo is partnering once again with the Rochester Americans to help create awareness for polar bears and the sea ice they depend on. Zoo members receive special pricing on tickets for Amerks home games in February. The Wegmans’ ZooMobile will also be making an appearance at select home games throughout the month.
Visit the ZooShop in February to shop custom Defend the Ice month merchandise including hoodies, long sleeve t-shirts, and pucks.
THE JERSEY AUCTION IS NOW LIVE!
Online bidding is open until 10 p.m. on Thursday, February 27. Bid often and fast to secure your favorite player’s custom, polar bear-themed jersey. You’ll get it right off their back following Defend the Ice Night on Friday, February 28! All proceeds benefit Seneca Park Zoo Society and Polar Bears International.
Zoo members can take advantage of a discounted ticket offer for Best Available seating at any Amerks home game in February. Just show your Zoo membership ID at the Amerks Box Office! View Amerks Game Schedule
Friday, February 28: Highlighting the month’s festivities is “Defend the Ice Night”, when the Amerks host the Laval Rocket at 7:05 p.m. at The Blue Cross Arena. The Amerks will wear special polar bear-themed jerseys along with matching socks in support of polar bear awareness. Get Tickets
Feb. 29 & March 1: Enjoy special enrichment demonstrations with Anoki, enter to win prizes, and learn about the importance of sea ice for polar bears. On Sunday, Amerks players will be at the Zoo to meet fans and sign autographs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
1. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle!
2. Use educated consumerism – buy local products, follow the Seafood Watch Guide.
3. Turn off lights when not in use. Replace old light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs.
4. Use proper trash receptacles for things that can’t be recycled. Don’t litter!
5. Eliminate styrofoam – it doesn’t decompose!
6. Walk, cycle, carpool, or take public transportation.
7. Save water by turning off taps when not in use and take shorter showers.
8. Unplug appliances (toaster, hair dryer, laptop, etc.) when not in use.
9. Turn off vehicles while waiting rather than idling.
10. Turn your thermostat two degrees down in the winter and two degrees up in the summer.
11. Avoid the dryer and hang your clothes to dry.
12. Donate to the Zoo’s conservation partner, Polar Bears International.
13. Assist in a community recycling event.
14. Avoid single-use plastics such as straws, grocery bags, utensils, water bottles, and to-go drink lids.
15. Plant a tree or garden.