Defend the Ice Month
Seneca Park Zoo is partnering once again with the Rochester Americans to help create awareness for polar bears and the sea ice they depend on. As part of Defend the Ice Month, Zoo members receive special pricing on tickets for Amerks home games in February. The ZooMobile will also be making an appearance at select home games throughout the month.
Friday, December 22: “Defend the Ice Night”, when the Amerks host the Providence Bruins at 7:05 p.m. at The Blue Cross Arena. Plus, $2 from each ticket purchase will go to support conservation efforts by the Zoo!
Any interested members, employee, or individual can secure a ticket here.
The Amerks will wear special polar bear-themed jerseys in support of polar bear awareness!
Polar Bear Conservation Awareness
1. Use educated consumerism – buy local products, follow the Seafood Watch Guide.
2. Turn off lights when not in use. Replace old light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs.
3. Use proper trash receptacles for things that can’t be recycled. Don’t litter!
4. Eliminate styrofoam – it doesn’t decompose!
5. Save water by turning off taps when not in use and take shorter showers.
6. Unplug appliances (toaster, hair dryer, laptop, etc.) when not in use.
7. Turn off vehicles while waiting rather than idling.
8. Turn your thermostat two degrees down in the winter and two degrees up in the summer.
9. Avoid the dryer and hang your clothes to dry.
10. Donate to the Zoo’s conservation partner, Polar Bears International.
11. Walk, cycle, carpool, or take public transportation.
12. Assist in a community recycling event.
13. Avoid single-use plastics such as straws, grocery bags, utensils, water bottles, and to-go drink lids.
14. Plant a tree or garden. Your participation helps save polar bears!
15. Throughout the month, the Zoo and Amerks will be collecting donations for Polar Bears International.