In the fall of 2017 I visited Indonesia to expand on my Masters of Science theses titled Implementing Best Practice Guidelines: Opportunities, Barriers, and Suggestions for Orangutan Rehabilitation and Re-Introduction Centers in Indonesia.
My project aims were based on a theme:
1. To determine the applicability of the IUCN Best Practice Guidelines for the Re-Introduction of Great Apes to orangutan rehabilitation and re-introduction practitioners;
2. To determine the major difficulties practitioners face in implementing the IUCN guidelines; and
3. To determine the potential need for an updated best practice guideline containing in-depth orangutan-specific rehabilitation and re-introduction practices.
– Zoo Keeper Clare Beldin-Walker
Resources for orangutan conservation:
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has great information and resources including the PalmOil Scan Mobile App to help you make sustainable choices